Monday, July 25, 2016

Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books by Paul Collins (2003)

An American writer and his family move to a town in Wales with 40 bookshops.

Book Review:  I keep getting caught by these kinds of books. To me Sixpence House was just like my read of The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller. I love nothing more than scavenging through used-book stores and charity shops, looking for that perfect book I didn't know I needed. So Sixpence House seemed right up my street. But no. This is more a memoir about him (quirky Yank), his family (fairly normal), and people in the town of Hay-on-Wye (oh, those quirky Brits!). One of my common gripes about movies and books is when they're quirky just to be quirky. It's never worked for me. Totally fair that he wrote the book he wanted to write, but I thought there'd be more in Sixpence House about books -- it's a town of books after all. So, this is an okay book, innocuous, neither good nor bad. And if I ever plan to travel to the magical town of Hay-on-Wye, I'll try to read Sixpence House again. I'll probably find it in a thrift store. [2.5 Stars]

No comments:

Post a Comment