Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Reading Recap!

Well the New Year is here, so it must be the day to look back at last year, since as Socrates used to repeat all the time, the unexamined life is not worth living. This is going to be mostly numbers (often the number 14) and a little narcissistic, so feel free to skip it if your inner accountant is sleeping in today. I had an excellent reading year in 2016, reading 102 books and 28,116 pages. Whew! More than I expected. Of those 102 books, 52 were written by women, 46 by men (four were edited collections), 74 were fiction, 14 nonfiction, and 14 were poetry. I'd thought to read more classics this year, but only read 14 classics (by my definition), along with 17 books in translation, and 22 by writers of color. Since I read 102 books in 2016, my reading percentages are just about the same as the raw numbers. The longest book I read last year was The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, at 772 pages. I also added FilmLit to my blog, which I need to get back to since I have several films I want to watch and blather about. Later this week will be a review of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, and my favorite books read in 2016, which mostly will not be books from 2016.   🐢   Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment