Monday, April 23, 2018

Thoughts About Reading ... #4

Sometimes thoughts arrive for no particular reason, and on the off chance that I'm not the only one thinking too much, here are a few ideas that have shown up lately ...

First, I wonder does your Myers Briggs defined personality determine what you like to read? For instance, would a INTJ personality type enjoy plot-driven fiction or nonfiction, while an ESFJ likes cozy, mushy prose? How about political leanings? Do members of one party read caring, sharing, and helpful books, while members of another party not read books at all? I know there's a blood-type diet, but I have trouble imagining that a book subscription service could make a fortune that way. And I'm kind of surprised in this era of cyber info hoarding that readers aren't having our reading tastes sliced and diced, or are we?

Next, how come there are books that are admirable and brilliantly written, but just aren't a lot of fun. Yes, I'm looking at you Toni Morrison. She's great in the real meaning of that word. She's perhaps the greatest American author of our time (don't forget that Nobel Prize), but her books are a good read on a whole 'nother level than Attica Locke. It's like Morrison is me eating my veg and taking my vitamins, while Louise Penny's books are dessert. Shakespeare (like Toni Morrison) is a great writer, but his plays are work! Some of the classics just aren't very enjoyable to me on a shallow level. I can recognize the greatness, appreciate the quality writing and the important themes, but they don't always keep me on the edge of my seat. Lately I've been thinking of reading William Faulkner and I'm afraid that ... .

Finally, I was reading several of Shakespeare's plays and found the Folger series was the most accessible and helpful for me. There may be other series geared more to PhD candidates, but these are excellent for the common reader. Take a look. They have the notes on the facing page, which is brilliant, there are occasional illustrations, and also essays front and back. The trade paperback size is nicer than the mass market size, with better paper, larger font, and still quite reasonably priced. Unfortunately Folger don't seem to be making the trade size anymore, so you may have to scout out thrift stores and charity shops. And yes, Mr. Folger was related to the coffee people, but not to their money.

Well, that's enough thinking for now. See you soon!  🐢

No comments:

Post a Comment