Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante (2012)

The second part of the journey that is Lina and Elena.

Book Review: The Story of a New Name continues the brilliance of My Brilliant Friend; if you loved the first you'll love the second. Where the first book addressed "Childhood, Adolescence," we now move on to "Youth" with  the same characters. At the time of writing I'm halfway through the third book, so I don't know what I don't know. I do know that no moment is wasted. Events that occur earlier in the narrative, later reappear meaningfully.

For me, The Story of a New Name wasn't quite up to the first volume. I can't lie: My Brilliant Friend left me anticipating perfection. Ferrante can no longer rely on the newness of the first book, and here perhaps 50 pages could've been lost (which pages I have no idea -- I'm not Ms. Ferrante) without harm. There was a stretch where I felt that I was beginning to tread water, that I'd seen this before. Chapter 83 needed to come just a wee bit quicker. Also, the attraction of the character of Nino escapes me. What are his irresistible qualities? Finally, and most significant (possible spoiler alert) there was a moment (yes, just one in 471 pages) that didn't work for me, that lost the verisimilitude, that wasn't believable. Unfortunately it occurs at the pivotal moment, the hinge, of the novel. But I must admit I've always had an unreasonable phobia of the older man/younger woman trope, so maybe it's just me and the scene worked fine for you. Those trivial bits aside, I read The Story of a New Name hungrily, the juice running down my chin. And a realization. Everyone, including me, describes the Neapolitan Novels as the story of friendship. But I don't think that's quite right, as it's not like any friendship I've had or seen, and the word is insufficient. It's the story of a relationship between two women, an interrelationship, an interdependence, a connection between two people. An attempt at understanding and connecting to the infinite complexity of another human. Contact. Elena writes that she read novels that "presented intense lives, profound conversations, a phantom reality more appealing than my real life." What has Ferrante written in The Story of a New Name? Perhaps all will come clear in the next book.  [4½★]


2 comments:

  1. You're so right—the relationship between Lila and Lenu is so much more than a friendship (I'm afraid this series gets reduced to "a story about female friendship" in too many reviews and discussions, in a way that undercuts just how epic and ambitious these books are). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! These books affirm the value of women's concerns and actions in a way that will try the patience of those who don't see that value. Similarly, although the Lila/Lenu relationship surpasses any concept of friendship, other female friendships & relationships in the books demonstrate their importance in ways that can't be easily dismissed or diminished. I think the series is such a powerful female statement that should be convincing to anyone. Great comments!

    ReplyDelete