Saturday, September 28, 2019

18 Blues Haiku





Combining two of my interests, haiku and the blues, just for fun (no disrespect intended). Here I mostly stay with the 5-7-5 format to create some structure (as with the 12-bar blues). All of these are taken from old blues songs; none are mine.



oh, rock me baby
like my back ain't got no bone --
rock me all night long



the sky is crying
see the tears roll down the street --
oh, where can she be



baby please don't go
don't go down to New Orleans --
you know I love you so



got my mojo working
but it just won't work on you --
don't know what to do



ramblin' on my mind
I hate to leave you baby --
you treat me unkind



turn your lamp down low --
you got no nerve baby
turn me from your door



don't you want to go
back to old California --
sweet home, Chicago



under a bad sign
down since I began to crawl --
have no luck at all



I should have quit you
a long time ago, quit you --
went to Mexico



down to the crossroads
fell on my knees, asked mercy
take me if you please



woke up this morning
I looked around for my shoes --
mean old walking blues



you gotta help me
can't do it all by myself --
I'll find someone else



ain't superstitious
a black cat just crossed my trail --
I'll get put in jail



up in the morning
I believe I'll dust my broom --
he can have my room



can't quit you baby
got to put you down for awhile --
make me mistreat my child



gonna leave running
got the key to the highway --
walking is too slow



kiss before I go
'cause when I leave here this time
won't be back no more



I should've quit you
then I wouldn't be here, down
on the killing floor

♪♪♪

No comments:

Post a Comment