Friday, September 16, 2016

End of Summer, End of Summaries

Oh, I really dislike book reviews with long summaries of the plot. Really, really do. Let me count the ways.

First, a lengthy plot outline sounds like someone trying to give a high school book report, fussing over "was it Marianne, or Miriam, no Marianne, or Minnie? In 1945?" So often the reviewer goes into a strange level of detail, none of which makes no never mind to the reader or listener. So often the reviewer gets the facts wrong anyway. Listening to someone giving a high school book report gives me the creeps. High school wasn't that great.

Second, I want to learn the plot as I read the book, not from reading or listening to a review. I want to go in blind as possible, and I find I enjoy books best when I have the fewest preconceptions. Maybe your summary has more spoilers than you think? I don't even read the blurbs on the back of books because I find them too spoilery.

Third, there are a dozen places to find a summary of the plot if I want one, I don't need you to do that for me. Many others have summarized all the books before, we don't need another plot outline. Especially for famous books, no summary needed! You don't need to outline Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or Gone Girl for me. I've heard. Listening to several reviews just means several redundant plot summaries. Ouch. Overload.

Fourth, I want to know how the reviewer felt about the book, what emotions did it raise, was it accessible or difficult, does it relate to any other books, was it funny, deep, angry, confusing, quick? Was it a slow read? Is it the author's best? Worst? Different from her other works? Were the characters interesting, unlikable, realistic? Did you hate it, love it, meh it, and why? There's so much you can tell me about a book that's more interesting than the plot. What did you think?

Fifth, the creativity in book reviewing certainly doesn't come from a plot recital, it comes from some unique perspective that you and only you can provide. That's what I want, your individual take on it that I won't get from anyone else. What did it remind you of, what does it relate to, how did it touch you?

In my own reviews I try to limit my summary to a single line at the beginning, and only such plot elements as are necessary to give you a sense of the book, but always abbreviated. Sometimes probably too short, but as I mentioned, if you really want to know a book's plot ahead of time, there are plenty of places to find it.

So that's my rant, hope it made some kind of sense, thanks for listening. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment