Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith (2007)

Girls and boys and boys and girls.

Book Review: Girl Meets Boy is Ali Smith on a frolic having all the fun she wants to have. In fact, I think she enjoyed writing it a wee bit more than I absorbed reading it. It was entertaining, charming, fun to read, no complaints. Come on, there's suffragettes and gender bending! Her writing is wonderful as always. But I should acknowledge that not being learned (so few of us read Latin these days) I haven't read Ovid's Metamorphoses (which allegedly inspired Girl Meets Boy) -- and naturally I'm of the school that Ovid is best read in the original. My knowledge ends at Wiki. But my main regret is that as much as I was entertained while reading, just a few weeks later I retained very little. A quick and fun read, but for me at least, not a life-changing book. I take all the blame. On the other hand, Ali Smith is always good, Girl Meets Boy is quite short, reading it was a romp, and a re-read may well be in my future.  [3★]

No comments:

Post a Comment