Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Color Purple by Alice Walker (1982)

A southern girl corresponds with God and with her sister, a missionary in Africa.

Book Review: The Color Purple is a classic, and deservedly so. It's a subtle and deceptively simple books that covers a surprisingly broad range of issues and ideas: race, women, religion, colonialism, and then combines them: "the God I been praying and writing to is a man. And act just like all the other mens I know." Wonderfully and intelligently written, Alice Walker's brilliantly animated characters refuse to be victims, they persevere, they overcome ... somehow. Despite the horrific acts, the abuse and betrayal, the heartbreak, the anger and misery, the core of this book is kindness and love. Even in the midst of the worst, Walker still sees the possibility of redemption, forgiveness, and reunion. There is so much wisdom in The Color Purple, so many brilliant lines: "that feeling of being part of everything, not separate at all. I knew that if cut a tree, my arm would bleed." Walker combines experience with a deep insight into human nature. I couldn't read this slowly enough to appreciate all that I read. There may be some books that are mandatory re-reads. I'm not sure why it took me so long to read The Color Purple, but I'm very glad that I did. I think Alice Walker must be as sweet as sweet tea.  [4½★]

No comments:

Post a Comment